Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tap Tap Tap...making a Coin Ring

A friend of mine inspired me to make a coin ring. She said her father made her one long ago and I just had to try it myself. I guess it supposed to be easy... 

Soldiers long ago, when board, used to tap away at coins that were made out of 95% silver *pre 1964*. They would tap the edges with a spoon over and over and over, until they produced a silver coin ring. If they can do it with a spoon then I sure as heck can do it with a hammar and drill!

So I went and found some quarters at a local coin shop and decided to give it a try. First I started taping with a hammer (much easier then a spoon!). Soon they sides were smooth and round. Then I drilled out the middle. Unfortunately my drill and my dremmal ran out of juice so they are charging right now.. here is a picture of my process.  
I started with a quarter and then decided that I should make one out of a half dollar for my love. His birthday is coming up so I thought this was a nice sentimental gift :) 

Let me know if you try it, how it works for you!! 

2 comments:

As Seen Thru My Eyes said...

Wow, Ashley! I've never heard of this, but what a great idea!!

rings by russ said...

I have made lots of coin rings and started making them as a hobby. You can check out the photos at http://www.ringsbyruss.com
Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Russ